Kristen Hamilton, C.I.
As an Arizona Confidential Intermediary, Kristen is trained and certified by the Arizona Supreme Court to facilitate reunions when desired among adult adoptees, birth parents and adoptive parents. The program is designed to be confidential, economical and there is no waiting list. If your adoption or relinquishment took place in a state other than Arizona, please check Other States to see if your state has a Confidential Intermediary Program.
What is the Arizona Confidential Intermediary Program?
The Confidential Intermediary Program was established by the Arizona State Legislature in 1992 by enacting A.R.S. Section 8-134. This allows court record access by a Confidential Intermediary to facilitate the search process between adoptees or adoptive parents and birth parents (triad members).
The Confidential Intermediary Program is administered by the Arizona Supreme Court. The Court provides training to ensure that Intermediaries are educated about the search process and the law, and that they are sensitive to the needs of triad members and other parties using their services. The Court certifies Intermediaries and provides monitoring and on-going education to encourage a high quality of service.
Who may use the services of a Confidential Intermediary?
You may participate as an adoption triad member if you are one of the following:
- The adoptive parents of an adoptee who is at least eighteen years of age, or, if the adoptive parents are deceased, the adoptee’s guardian.
- An adoptee if the adoptee is at least eighteen years of age.
- If an adoptee is deceased, the adoptee’s spouse if the spouse is the legal parent or guardian of any child of the adoptee.
- If an adoptee is deceased, any child of the adoptee who is at least eighteen years of age.
- Either of the birth parents of the adoptee.
- If the birth parents of an adoptee are deceased, the parent of the birth parent.
- A biological sibling of the adoptee if the sibling is at least eighteen years of age.
- Medical information search by court order
- Except as provided above, a Confidential Intermediary shall not search for any persons under twenty-one years of age.
You may participate in SIX if you are one of the following:
- 18 years or older and a former dependent child.
- 17 or under and a former dependent child. If under 18, your participation must include your adoptive parent, guardian or biological parent if he or she has legal custody and is not involved in a current juvenile court dependency case.
- Over 18 and you are the sibling of a former dependent child
Benefits of using a Confidential Intermediary
Unlike a researcher or private investigator, a Confidential Intermediary may gain direct access to your court records, thus obtaining important information to use in locating the subject(s) of your search.
A Confidential Intermediary is the liaison between the parties, thus provides security for all parties by protecting their privacy and wishes.
All information contained in the file is strictly confidential. Under Arizona law, information obtained from the court records may not be disclosed without written consent from both parties. If either party denies consent for the exchange of information, information cannot be disclosed.
What is the cost of Confidential Intermediary services?
Fees charged by Confidential Intermediaries are set by ACJA § 7-203 (K). Expenses for mileage, obtaining documents, phone calls, database searches, booking etc. are also charged.
How do I find & select a Confidential Intermediary?
To obtain a list of all Certified Confidential Intermediary for more information please call or email:
- (602) 452-3957
- Text telephone (TDD/TYY) for the hearing impaired (602) 452-3545
Is this program available in other states if I was not adopted in Arizona?
Please check our All States Programs & Registries page.
For more information on the Arizona Confidential Intermediary Program, visit their Web page:
Please call, write or E-Mail us for more information at:
Research Etc., Inc.
8390 E. Via De Ventura, Suite F110-184
Scottsdale, Arizona 85258
In Arizona: (480) 991-3571
Outside Arizona: 1-800-992-3571
E-Mail Address: RSearchEtc@aol.com